Sunday, September 23, 2007

Memories Monday.....

Revee From Country Roads hostesses Memories Monday. Please stop by for some great memories.
When I was a little girl around the age of 6 this picture hung in our dining room.

It is a charming painting of an older man in prayer before his meal. I remember always looking at the picture and enjoying it very much except when the lights were out. For some strange reason if I were in the living room and the lights were out, I felt afraid to look back in the dining room... as if something was watching me.
I look back now and still cannot for the life of me figure out why this lovely painting frightened me in the darkness.
My parents moved around so much after those years, I don't even know what happened to the painting. I have seen this image here and there throughout my life and now seeing it gives me peace. That peace is God looking over me, reminding me I don't have to fear, He has been there all along.
Thank you for sharing this memory with me... a memory I never shared before.
"Fear not, for I am with you: be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you , yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isa 41:10

When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast: When the tempter would prevail, He will hold me fast.-Habershon



6 comments:

  1. What a nice store. I have a simular one I'm gunna post. I used to have a picture of an angle protecting a couple of children as they crossed a falling apart bridge. Well, I'll get into all that on my own post...
    I know when I was little there was a picture of my uncle at my grandparents house that when the lights were out frightened me, and when they were on I was perfectly fine with it. I remember that the streetlight from outside would shine on it at a weird angle and then I'd think someone was in the room.
    I really think it's awesome how something that brought fear to you as a child is now an image of loving God. It's amazing how things like that work. God is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and have enjoyed reading your posts!

    I just wanted to comment that this *same* picture was hanging on our dining room wall all through my upbringing! So this brought back many memories for me just seeing it! :-)

    Have a blessed week!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice memory! It's always interesting to see what pictures someone remembers from childhood. I like the picture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had that picture hanging in our house too. I think my sister still has it somewhere. It is funny what silly things we feared as children :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your childhood memory! Enjoy your day! Blessings ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I was sscrolling through and was taken back by the picture posted. We had that same picture hanging in our dining room when I was a child. I was always afraid of that man. Afraid that he would lift up his head and snap at me for interupting his prayer.

    ReplyDelete