Thursday, September 20, 2007

Show & Tell Friday...Latvian Dolls....


Hosted by Kelli from Theres No Place Like Home




I recently started a collection of Latvian dolls. Since I love dolls and make dolls, it only made sense to me, to also collect dolls from my heritage as well. My Grandparents came to The United States in 1950 after the war time. They never returned to their Homeland. We still have many family members there whom we stay in contact with. My Mom finally went to our family Homeland this Summer. I am so happy for her.


As my show and tell I have collected a sweet couple dressed in full Latvian costume, they are about 100 years old. Then I have a Madame Alexander Latvian doll and Latvian Father Christmas figurine.


My most recent find is a lovely doll handmade by a Latvian Prisoner of War around the 40's or 50's. She wears Latvian style clothes. I am always on the hunt for a Latvian doll, they are very hard to find.
Thanks for sharing with me this week.

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

  1. The doll is great....love the close-up photo. And good luck in your search for more!! Collecting is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty dolls. They look loved and well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is very nice. I think it is so nice you honor your heritage :o)

    To answer your comment on my S&T....yes the clowns are made with the 2x4 piece.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Sorry! You are not the one who ask me about the 2x4's!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dolls are wonderful! You have a really nice Blog too!

    Blessings! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dolls are so precious!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful collection of Latvian dolls, each one made even more precious with the story behind it!! It was so interesting to learn that you are the one who made the "You're a doll" button:-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dolls! What makes the Santa a Latvian doll? Besides the dress, how do you know something is a Latvian doll? So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your collection! I hope you are able to find more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique and sweet collection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful collection and wonderful memories to go with them. I also have a doll collection, but none from Latvia..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice doll collection, especially since they represent your heritage!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, these dolls look so lovely. And I *love* their costumes. They must be pretty rare, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful!! Your dolls are beautiful!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those dolls are so precious! I bet you love them like I love my Moravian dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this post is so old, but i just recently came accross it. My grandmother (and mom) are from Latvia and my grandmother passed away a few years ago.. My grandmother always had a doll in her home, one with traditional dress and I've always wanted a doll of my own! How do you go about the process collecting your dolls?

    ReplyDelete