Thursday, June 19, 2008

Being Useful...


Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me. Philem.11


Philemon is one of the shortest books in the Bible, yet tucked away is a sweet message on usefulness. Paul writes a letter to Philemon, a fellow believer, on behalf of Onesimus, a runaway slave. Paul has become friends with Onesimus through his conversion to Christianity. The slave desires to return to Philemon, but fears for his life, since runaways will be put to death. In Paul's letter he tells Philemon that Onesimus is now a brother in Christ and is no longer a possession. He goes to say that Onesimus, whose name means "useful" has been a huge help to him and wishes to return to be a useful servant to Philemon as well, asking to show kindness and to forgive Onesimus.


Does your heart cry out for Onesimus? He has changed!!

We all have run from God, rebelling against His authority, fearing punishment for our disobedience. God has saved me and has taken me into His household giving me a place to serve. Being useful impacts my life daily.


The Bible has a lot to say about usefulness.


My work is meaningful. [DO] something useful with [Your] own hands, that [You] may have something to share with those in need" Eph.4;28


Work isn't always something one does with their hands, yet Home Schooling is a definite hands-on profession. It is my overall job to make sure my children are receiving a wonderful education. I don't and am sure all home school Mama's don't earn a salary for this work, yet there are so many benefits that come to us as Home School teachers. Things that I wouldn't be able to do if I worked outside the home. We can bake together or bring goodies to a friend in need. We can help an elderly neighbor with his chores. The list goes on.


My faith is useful if it affects my actions: "Do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?" James 2:20.


Turn that verse into a positive statement: "Faith that produces action is useful." This is one of the greatest benefits of home schooling... it is up close and personal. It will keep you on your knees before God.


The Bible is a useful tool: " All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,rebuking,correcting and training in righteousness" 2 Tim.3:16



This is what a home school teacher's job is all about. Teaching, correcting and training our children in righteousness. Only the word of God has life-changing power... all the lecturing in the world about letting go of bad habits or being a good person is useless without the Bible backing you up. It is our job to share and teach the word of God; He will do the rest.



I can be a valuable vessel: " In a well-furnished kitchen there are not only crystal goblets and platters, but waste cans and compost buckets- some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage. Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to His guests for their blessing" 2 Tim. 2:20, 21



God has reshaped me into a vessel of pure silver and gold- one that cannot be broken. He has cleansed me, and now I am useful to Him. He is not ashamed to claim me as His own, I am not ashamed of myself either.



I have useful Faith: " And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith." 1 Cor.15:14



Because Christ was raised from the dead, our teaching and our faith are useful ( of value,helpful,worthy) The message of Christ is real; therefore, my faith rests on a rock-solid foundation. It is through faith that I am able to survive times of doubt and despair. In serving Christ our work, our actions, our words, our witnessing and our faith are all useful to God every day. He has brought that meaning and purpose in my life even the roughest of days. Don't think about running away !!!



Lord, show me everyday how to be useful in our school, towards our fellow Brothers and Sisters in Christ and those around me who don't know you.



No comments:

Post a Comment