Sunday, November 14, 2010

Calico Jane



A couple months ago the kids and I went to my Mom's for her annual garage sale which we also participated in.... My Aunt was there as well. We sat there selling our goodies and decided to hop over to a few garage sales in the neighborhood on our break...That we did... It was fun, yet quite silly thet we were in the middle of our own garage sale going to other garage sales and buying stuff...... One of the sales we went to led us to this darling china doll.



She was beautiful! I snatched her up  hesitating to ask the price since she looked old and in perfect condition from head to toe at about 18 inches tall. No chips, no scratches...all fingers intact with a leather body and vintage calico dress. I asked the lady how much as she looked over at her teenage daughter and asked her how much she wanted for her doll. She splat out $5.00! What!!!! I screamed with glee inside! You have got to be kidding..... I paid the five dollars before they would change their mind.



I then made conversation asking the teen why she was selling her doll. She had told me it belonged to her Great Grandmother who gifted the doll to her as well as another doll to her Sister. But wasn't all into dolls and she ended up in the sale. How sad I thought...She just wasn't appreciated.... But I knew she would be coming to a good home where she would be displayed and played with with much love.

All the while my Aunt was coveting her too!
(GRIN)
 I turned over to my daughter and handed her the doll!
 She knows how much I love China dolls, just as she does...
 and for a moment couldn't believe I was giving her this one.
I did!
 I know how much she adores dolls and plays with them...
she has always been so careful with them....
 And I knew that she would share her with me and that
 she would never put her in a garage sale.

 
She named her Jane...
Affectionately called Calico Jane!
So fitting for such a sweet clad face.
Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful story and I am so glad she's going to someone who will appreciate her. Kind of makes me sad though for that teenage girl. I suspect she'll be regretting selling her one day. Love her name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful....it is so sad she wasn't appreciated by the teen ....I am very happy she found a home with your and freckles though...she shall live happily ever after I'm sure....did you make her clothes or did they come with her? Received my sweet cards...thanks so much...blessings on your week..Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet dolly, she will be well loved at your home xoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is perfect. So sad that the girl didn't appreciate that it came from her Grandmother though. I am sure she will be loved and appreciated by Bri.

    Sounds like fun to go shopping while having a garage sale? ):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to send some loving your way for the loving you sent my way,,and now I'm sending a little loving to others too..Shared your blog on my post today..((hugs))

    ReplyDelete