Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Priceless, Meaningful Gifts


This Christmas I received a very special Christmas gift from my dad. It wasn't something that cost a lot of money or came from the store. It was something so sweet, something that would mean something only to me. The gift was thoughtful and absolutely priceless. Inside this package were two recipe books filled with my Paternal Gramma's recipes as well as a few canning recipes. It means a lot because they were hers. Recipes she used in her home and they were all in her handwriting. My Gramma Charlotte passed away about 12 years ago. I miss her. She was my crafty Gramma. She would always be crocheting or sewing or painting something. She canned goodies and had a frugal knack about her. The end of her life was a sad one since she was unable to remember who we were. It's so hard to see someone you love like this. I remember the last Christmas we spent with her. She sat in a chair among the whole family...We were making memories and reminiscing the old memories. And there she sat...Not realizing who or where she was. But she was having a good time. That was the last day I saw her. I hope she felt loved. I am thankful that is the last memory I will have with her. It was a memory of her being happy. There is a really cool pin on Pinterest where you can print recipes on tea towels. I am going to do a few of them in her recipes. I think it would be a fun display in my kitchen.I'm even going to try my hand at some of her recipes in the books.


The second gift my dad sent me was a beautiful snow white hand crocheted tablecloth that belonged to his Gramma Kate. ( My Great Gramma) Also Gramma Charlotte's mom. This is something my dad acquired from my Gramma Charlotte's things when she passed away. He held onto it because he had some special memories with his Gramma. She crocheted this tablecloth many years ago. My dad remembers being with her as she worked on it. I never got to meet Great Gramma Kate, since she passed away from a broken heart after her husband died also during the time my dad was away in Vietnam. So, after holding onto this tablecloth for sometime, he decided to give it to me, knowing I would be the perfect recipient of such a beautiful treasure. He was right! I cried when I opened up. He shared the story behind it and asked if I would please keep it in the family, and wanted me to hand it down to my daughter someday. I am more than happy to do that. I am looking forward to putting it on my table in my home. So there you have it. Simple and sweet and thoughtful. These sorts of gifts are priceless. You just can't put a price tag on something like this.
They are things I will cherish close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment