Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Just Peachy....

This is the time of year where I really get into canning my fruit for the Fall and Winter seasons. I look out for those prices dropping in the market to get the best deal. This last week. When most stores had their peaches for $1.99-$2.69 a pound I found some beautiful Snow White Peaches for .88 cents a pound. Still a little higher than I would like but...I jumped on it anyway. I bought half a bushel which is 25 pounds...and canned them yesterday...I saved some for eating and made a wonderful pie for dessert.If all goes well...We will have them throughout the Winter. I also found Bartlett Pears for 33. a pound...yup!!! I didn't pass that one up...I bought 67 pounds!!!! I will be canning, juicing and have some for eating. I got a lot of work ahead of me with that one...But thrilled beyond measure that these healthy treats will be there for my family for the coming months!
~Old Fashioned Peach Pie~
Pastry for Two-Crust Pie
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 cups sliced peaches (6 to 8 medium)
(I used Snow White peaches)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, if desired
******
1. Heat oven to 425°. Make pastry.
2. Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon in large bowl. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Turn into pastry-lined
pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over peaches. Cover with top pastry that has slits cut in it; seal and flute.Or do a lattice style top like I did! Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
3. Bake about 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Cool on wire rack at least 2 hours.
ENJOY!!!

3 comments:

  1. #1 WORD: "YUMMY!!!!!!" :) Pass that "Peachy" Pie this way please... Keep it up and you will fit right in the South with that delightful tasty looking Pie. Love and HUGS from your family in Texas... xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a yummy post...Canning,baking,sewing,taking such good care of your home and family....you are for sure and for certain a Proverbs 31 kind of gal :)
    What an example...Blessings dear Mica.... Enjoy the fruit of your labor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love you!!!!! and I so want to be just like you when I grow up! I have to figure out how to juggle my 2 jobs and being a mom and (very possibley a wife soon) I know you'll give me some tips, I want to learn to can very badly! Anyways! as always you inspire me to be greater than I am, I Love you! kiss my babies for me!

    Love you sissy!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete