Saturday, April 19, 2014

Homemade Lära Bars


A couple posts down I shared our new adventure. Changing our lifestyle and the way we eat. So far it is going great. However, Easter is just a day away. I got to thinking. Well, if we are cutting out all the junk and candy stuff...What could I do for Freckle's Easter basket this year. Okay time to get creative. We are not eating bread either so I had to come up with something healthy, whole, with no added refined sugars and wasn't a grain. I found just what I was looking for. Have you ever had Lara Bars? They are pretty darn good. I got the recipe on Pinterest. 



It is quite simple. 
Yet you will need a food processor for this.
Look at all the healthy yummies that go into this thing. Oh and no baking!!!! It's so simple...You just combine all the ingredients together, put it in a pan and freeze for 20 minutes, cut them into bars and enjoy. 





Recipe for Homemade Lära Bars (Mixed Berry):

  • 1 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 12 Medjool dates
  • 1 cup dried berries and / or cherries
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil

Directions for Homemade Lära Bars:

  1. Line an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with plastic wrap or wax paper. Set aside.
  2. Add the nuts to the food processor and pulse down until they become small, crumbly bits. Don’t let it go too long or it will become nut butter—er, not that there’s anything wrong with that but it won’t help this recipe. Some pieces may be a bit bigger and some might be tiny. That’s okay. Pour the nuts in a large bowl.
  3. Now, pit the dates and put them in the food processor with the dried fruit, shredded coconut oil and sea salt. Pulse until it comes together in a ball.
  4. Now, with clean hands: add the dried fruit to the nuts and combine both together. You’ll have to knead pretty well but keep at it.
  5. Once all the nuts are blended in, you’ll take the lump of deliciousness and put it in the baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish until it’s packed down and smooth.
  6. Freeze for 20 minutes until firm.
  7. Turn out the mixture onto a cutting board and chop into pieces as big or small as you’d like. I usually make 12 bars from one dish.
  8. I individually wrap them. They can be frozen for a couple months if packed to withstand freezer burn. If not, store in the fridge for short term use


After I cut them up, I wrapped each bar and threw them in the fridge.
 Of course I will fill Freckles basket with a couple of them as well!


I also decided to dehydrate some strawberry, banana and apple chips for some
 filling in the basket and I made some apple fruit leather.
Perfect, whole and healthy, good for snacks for an Easter basket.



No chocolate bunnies here this year!
Wishing you all a blessed Easter.
Enjoy!!!!

1 comment:

  1. They look yummy....I am trying to eat healthier too...thanks for sharing the recipe. Blessings on your journey to a healthier lifestyle

    ReplyDelete