Friday, July 10, 2015

Pannkakor Pancakes (Swedish Pancakes)



For as long as I can remember, my Gramma would make Swedish pancakes on the occasions that I was with her. She knew I loved pancakes....One of my all time favorite breakfast staples. I love pancakes of all kinds. After getting married over 20 years ago, I kept the tradition of making Swedish pancakes for my family. And every time I dig out the mixing bowl, cook them up and spread jam all over it....It brings me back to those memories of my childhood and Gramma making them for me. 
Gramma never had a recipe written down for them since she was the kind of cook who would just throw everything together and it was great! She had sort of told me how to make them many years ago...But with time I came up with my own recipe.

 About a year or so ago we gave up on milk in our house, and started using almond and coconut milk, hence it is better for you and has more calcium in it then cow milk. On top of that, Freckles cannot handle milk any longer so we took it out. The recipe I came up with is very easy and very basic..If you wish to use cow milk you can...It won't make a huge difference. We will also use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk which really gives the pancake a nice flavor. The recipe makes about 6 pancakes, so if you want more than that, you can double the recipe with no problem!!!!




~Pannkakor Pancakes~
*****
1 Cup sifted all purpose flour in mixing bowl
1 1/2 C almond milk
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk separated
dash salt
1 Tbl melted butter

Whisk all ingredients in a
 bowl until well mixed.





Use a non-stick pan to keep things easy, but butter the pan before you cook each pancake. It helps the pancakes to brown and it just plain tastes better. I keep a chunk of butter in its original paper and spread a bit around between each pancake. It takes a while to cook all the pancakes, keep an oven-safe plate in a 200-degree oven and put the pancakes in there until all they are all done. They taste just the same whether hot off the pan or warmed in the oven, and then everyone can eat at once. I pour about 1/2 cup batter ( yes batter will seem watery) I spread it all over the bottom of the pan by holding the handle of the pan and pouring the batter with my other hand all at once, with some wrist turning of the pan, 
the batter will make a nice layer on the bottom of the whole pan.
....And now for the flip. This is where I had trouble the first time I ever made them. If you try to flip them too early, they are nearly impossible to flip over. You need to wait until the top looks dry. There will be some bubbling, and the edges look like they might be browning. First flip over one little edge to see if the pancakes are browning on the underside. If it is, you’re ready to go. Tuck your spatula under the pancake, then FLIP over flat on the other side! Cook for just about 1 minute then place on your warming plate in the oven.
One more quick note regarding the heat of the pan. You’ll mostly likely need to adjust the temperature while you’re cooking, but generally the pan will be medium heat, give or take depending on your stove. You want it hot enough that they brown but not so hot that you’re going to burn them. You’ll figure it out, I promise. If you have any problems. There are videos on You Tube that will show you the technique.



We serve our Swedish pancakes with my homemade jams. All flavors of jam are perfect for this pancake. After spreading the jam on one side all over the pancake, you roll them up. You can dust a bit of powdered sugar on top with a touch of whipped cream if you want..We usually have ours with just the jam since it is quite sweet as is. Our favorite jam right now is the Blueberry Basil Jam I recently made. If you would like to try making it...



I will forever make these pancakes and every time I do, 
I think of my Gramma. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment