Friday, September 18, 2015

Make Mrs. Meyer's Liquid Hand Soap


I like to be frugal...I found a recipe for making one of my favorite products: Mrs. Meyer's Soap bar into a whole gallon of liquid soap at a fraction of the cost. I tried it myself and happy with the results: Now I have lot's of soap to use for my refill bottles for hand soap and it's all purpose loveliness can be used as a body wash in the shower/bath. It worked so well that I thought I would share it with you.

Let's get started:
Gather your supplies~

Cheese grater (from the dollar store)
2 Tablespoons of Liquid Glycerin 
(found in the band aid section at any drugstore or grocery store)
1 - 8 oz bar of Mrs. Meyer's soap bar
1 gallon of water

Note* This recipe is not guaranteed to work with other bar soaps.
 If you can't find this particular soap you can find it here to order:

Choose your scent...Basil, Lavender, Lemon Verbena, and Geranium!



Step 1:
Grate the entire bar of soap
Step 2:
Fill a large pot with 1 gallon of distilled water and add the soap shavings.
Step 3:
Add 2 Tablespoons of liquid glycerin and turn the heat to medium/high and stir until the soap dissolves.
Step 4:
Leave it alone to cool for at least 10-12 hours. 
Step 5:
After it has cooled completely around 12 hours later it will harden and look like liquid soap.
Step 6:
If the soap is harder than it should be you can take some beaters and blend it while adding just a little bit of water until the consistency is more like liquid soap.



 Pour it into the 1 gallon water bottle you used and mark it Liquid Soap. I am storing mine in large mason jars.
Now you can refill your 12 ounce bottle of liquid soap (that cost $3.99) with your gallon of refill that cost around $4.99. That's some huge savings!!!
This is a fool proof project that results in huge savings.
1 bar of Mrs. Meyer's Bar Soap at $3.99
 produces over $50 worth of liquid hand soap!!! 
I'd say that's worth the time and little effort to make!

Note** The soap can be a snot-like consistency, 
gross description I know but it still works.

* Soap does not create a big lather. 

*Other bar soaps may not work...Try to find Mrs. Meyer's Bar
You can also try Target...They might have bars too!!



Enjoy!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am going to give it a try! Thanks foe sharing.

    ReplyDelete