Monday, June 25, 2012

Homemade Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream


Those hot Summer days you yearn for something nice and cold to quench your cravings...Sometimes it can be hard to find healthy options, so you must make your own. Right now we are in the midst of taking dairy out of our diet to see if there are any changes with allergies. Both my hubby and daughter have asma and my hubbs has allergies realllly bad throughout the year. Perhaps it is all that creamer in his coffee or cheese on the pizza's he loves. We are now on week two. All was well until Sunday after church we usually go out to fellowship and have snack...My dear Mr. Darling went out for a snack, I was standing right next to him as he was chit chatting it up and dipping tortilla chips in a bowl of CHEESE. He said " oh this dip is so good" and I'm like, hey, your eating dairy silly head. He was all " um crap"... Poor thing forgot all about it. Well later that day he was all stuffy and clogged up. I am not sure if the cheese was to blame, but we are supecting perhaps it is. So now back to the drawing board. We have to eliminate dairy for at least 6 weeks then bring it back and see how they feel. If they see a change....then we have most likely found the culparate. In doing this elimination we are also hoping to allow our bodies have a break to cleanse itself...maybe even lose a few pounds. My daughter has seen and felt a difference only within week two of eating better, less carbs,less refined sugar, no wheat, and no dairy. She has lost 5 pounds and feels happy in her skin. Since our vacation a couple weeks ago I myself have changed my diet and have been moving and excersising...and lost 20 pounds without trying hard. I don't feel a change though...I have much more weight to lose. Okay, I am rambling on. I meant to be blogging about this yummy ice cream we made. This is a great way to enjoy a cool treat on a hot Summer day. Free of dairy.

You will need 2 cans of coconut milk
1 1/2 cups of frozen or fresh strawberries
1/2 cup agave nectar or honey
a blender and an ice cream maker. I am sure you could still mix this
all together in a blender and freeze in a bowl or popsicle molds.
We used our ice cream maker this time.
 
Mix the ingredients in a blender, pour into ice cream maker and churn for 25 minute. Then place in the freezer 2- 6 hours till frozen. Now you can induldge in a sweet, creamy healthy ice cream.
Hope you enjoy the recipe. It is delish.
 
Wholesome Goodness.
Have a great Summer week

No comments:

Post a Comment