Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Flowers In A Can Project...

 
I was shopping in Trader Joe's the other day and spotted these colorful, adorable cans of plum tomatoe's. Silly me knew just what I would want those cans for and it wasn't the tomatoe's inside...of course they wouldn't go to waste though. I picked up both cans for less than $2 a piece. I also picked up a lovely Summery bouquet of simple flowers for this little project.
   
I opened the cans and poured the tamaters in a container which I will use in a couple recipes for dinners. Wash the cans out with hot water and soap being careful not to get the paper on the outside really wet. Dry can inside and out. I then filled a small glass canning jar of cold water, cut the flower stems to fit, placed the flowers in the canning jar then slipped the jar right into the tomato can. Voila. A fun, colorful Summery vase. The designs are vibrant, fun and whimsical. I love them.
 
Now to keep the paper label safe...you can brush on a coat or two of Mod Podge to seal it...Then you can store it without worry of damage to the label. Don't you just love clever ways to re~purpose the cutest cans? I am sure you can think of other ways to use these fun cans...Perhaps you can use it for storing pens/pencils or kitschy gadgets. Or even just a pretty little can sitting on a kitchen shelf.
Thanks Trader Joe's...I love these cans.
 

1 comment: