Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cornmeal Pound Cake Cupcakes With Lemon Curd Filling Topped with Sour Cream Frosting!

 

Once again we have been blessed with a ton of lemons from our friends with lemon groves.... Time to bake and make some yummy lemonade... I'm linking up with HomeMaking Makes us feel like it's a nice Summery day when we are in the middle of Winter blues. My day was brightened last week when my new issue of Mary Jane's Farm arrived in the post. I flipped through and saw this recipe using lemons....Perfect! Since I need to use them right? Plus I needed to make a dessert for my MIL & SIL visit. I was thrilled beyond measure that I even had all the ingredients I needed to do my baking. Whew!
 

I have realllly grown to love baking and cooking from scratch as well as making new things for my family.....Which is also a lot healthier for them too! This new year I am setting out to try baking and cooking more new foods that are made from scratch. Okay so are you ready to start? Lets start with:

~Cornmeal Pound Cake Cup Cakes~

2 1/2 T butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C sugar
3 eggs
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla ext.
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C + 2 T flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 C cornmeal
****
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins.
* In med. bowl, combine butter and sugars with elec. mixer on medium speed till fluffy for about 2 min. Add eggs one at a time.Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
* in a separate bowl sift together salt, flour and baking powder. Stir in cornmeal, add the dry ing. to batter and mix on low until blended.
*Pour batter into lined muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Take care not to over bake. Let cool while making lemon curd.
 

~Lemon Curd~

5 egg yolks
1 egg
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of one lemon
***
*Place egg yolks, egg and sugar in the top half of a double boiler.
Whisk together, then stir in lemon juice and zest.
*Cook over simmering water, whisking constantly, until very thick, about 5-8 minutes.
*Strain curd through a fine sieve into a glass container and cover
 with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming.
*refrigerate for several hours, until chilled
 

~Soft Sour Cream Frosting~

1/3 C heavy cream
1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 C sour cream
3 T lemon curd
***
* In a medium bowl, beat cream and powdered sugar together with elec. mixer until soft peaks form starting on low speed, then increase to high speed.
* gently fold in sour cream and lemon curd until well mixed.

Note* Before frosting the cupcakes place lemon curd in a pastry nag with a long narrow tip.Inject tip in the center of the cupcake and squeeze curd into the center.
*Now spread cupcakes with frosting. it will seem runny, but sets a bit after a while.
 

My family enjoyed this delish dessert...They are very different with the
 cornmeal texture and zesty flavor of the lemon filling... P.S. Any Lemon Curd left over can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 weeks and great on scones!!!
I do hope you enjoy!
Makes 12 delightful cupcakes!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. I too have been blessed with a big batch of lemons and had told myself I had to do something with them today. Well now I can "let them eat cake". And, where better to get the recipe? I LOVE Mary Jane's Farmhouse. One of the best magazines ever. If I was stranded on an island, all I'd need to survive would be Mary Jane's, Where Women Create and Victoria. Thanks for starting my morning off right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pics! I LOVE lemon curd.. well really lemon anything. I just ate lemon curd on grahm crackers last night! I thought lemon curd had butter in it, I'm going to have to try your recipe for it sometime. I always just buy dickensons lemon curd.. sooo delicious
    have a sweet and tarty day
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...looks so good...you were blessed...Lemons are about .50 cents each here...blessings...I love MJF as well...it is a great magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these tasty treats, I ate alot....hehehe I will be making these at home too! Thank you for the yummies

    Love you

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Mica I must try these, how yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now.. they look simply wonderful!Thanks for sharing.
    bless you..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look really delish, I am putting lemon into everything lately!!! xoxoox Clarice

    ReplyDelete