Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Honey & Oats Baked Bread and An Easy Bread Bag Tutorial

 
Hello there!
I'm linking up with
HomeMaking
&
 It's A Very Cherry World's Rednesday!
 Today was a sick day...The kids woke up ill
so we didn't get any school done.
 Instead, I spent the late afternoon baking bread and
 sewing bread bags while they rested on the couch.
 I found this great organic recipe on Na~Da Farm Life
 and... just had to make it for supper.
 Stay with me folks...
At the end of this post I have a easy bread bag tutorial for ya!
 So let's bake!!!
 
HONEY & OATS BREAD

6 c. organic flour ( I used organic wheat flour from Italy)
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. softened butter (no substitutes here)
2 c. boiling water
2 pkg. dry yeast
1/3 c. lukewarm water
1/2 c. organic honey
1 c. non-instant oats (try to find a local producer)
 ( I used organic steal cut oats)
****
Directions
In bowl, add oats and pour 2 cups boiling water,
 about 1/2 hour later, you're ready to go.
 Soak yeast in 1/3 cup lukewarm water.
 Let stand 5 minutes.
 To oats add salt, honey and butter.
 Add yeast.
 Next stir in 2 cups flour, then 2 more.
 Knead in last 2 cups flour.
 

Shape into a round ball. Place in bowl, cover with
 clean dish towel and let rise until 2 times its size.
 Cut down with a knife. Divide and place in 2 greased bread pans.
 Cover and let rise again.
 Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes
 

Serve warm with butter and honey on top...Yummy!
 Store the rest of the loaves in cute bread bags of course!

 

You like my bread bags?
I put together a little tutorial for
 you to make a couple for yourself.
 They are easy and quick and did I say cute?
First you will need a linen kitchen towel with some cute
 designs on it or even a vintage oldie will do.
 I found mine a year ago at the Dollar Store....
 The tag said they were origanally from K-Mart....
 Must have sent them off to Dollar land when they
didn't sell them out. Anyhoo...they are sweet!
 

Take the towel, unfold it and cut right down the middle...
See pictures to show what I mean.
  
You now have two halves of the towel...
The already sewn edges will be your opening...no need to sew that part! Yay!!!
 

Your bread bag should look like this with an opening.
You can go further and sew in a draw string tie...
I just used some ribbon to tie them closed.
 
Now their ready to fill with warm loaves of bread..
looks sweet on your counter or heck...use them to give a gift of bread!
 

I hope you enjoy the recipe and the tutorial!
Please e-mail me if you have any questions...
 Happy Bread Making!!!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Am having one heck of a time with bread right now, can't get it in a warm enough room to rise properly, but have put this recipe high on my list and your post is linked on my blog so I do not forget to make the wonderful bread bags. Thank you. ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,,Love the header and WOW on all the photos, and the beautiful towels too Sweetie.. The recipe sounds extra yummy.. Your really brave to make your own Honey and Oats bread..Sounds delightful!!!
    Lots of LOVE from God above~~~Hugs Dena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and pretty post!Love the bread bags :-)
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm!! I want some for my breakfast.. wish you were my neighbor! I guess I'll just eat my special K! (blaahhh!)
    You such a happy homemaker always with the sweetest things going on.
    have a great day Mica
    xo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just cherching about bread recipes. I will try yours this week.
    I'm happy to find a tutorial about a bread bag.
    Will share a picture when I make the both!!!
    Blessings from France

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your recipe sounds delicious--beautiful post. Very clever bread bags--love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bread bag idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bread looks yummy and the bags are so cute. I really love your banner with the gnomes and all the fun reds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea and so pretty...a far cry from those plastic bread bags...your bread looks yummy too :)
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those bags are adorable!!! I've been making bread and I find it difficult to keep it fresh. I've been wrapping in one layer of saran wrap and then one of aluminum foil but even that isn't doing the trick. Any tips??? I am going to try those bags! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mica!
    Oh gosh, I am so hungry now, your bread looks so yummy! And your bread bags are so darling, thank you so much for sharing the tutorial with us.

    Happy Rednesday,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! The bread looks yummy (will have to bake some) and the bags are super cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my homemade bread better than anything. Oh my gosh what sweet bread bags, I LOVE them, thank you for the turoial xoxoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  14. My MIL makes home made bread. I might have to make her a sweet bread bag from your tutorial. Where do you get all the cute fabric though?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your tutorial for honey/oat bread and the darling kitchen towel bread bags. Thanks so much! What a homey, loving gift.

    ReplyDelete